Conor McGregor’s future – in and out of the cage – got little resolution today.
The former UFC champion today was in Brooklyn Criminal Court in New York City following an April attack on a bus at UFC 223.
However, as had been expected, McGregor’s (21-3 MMA, 9-1 UFC) appearance – along with teammate Cian Cowley, who was also arrested – was brief and simply saw the scheduling of his next court appearance, which is now set for July 26.
The hearing lasted a little more than a minute.
“I regret my actions that led me here today,” McGregor said following the court appearance (via Twitter). “I understand the seriousness of this matter, and I’m hopeful it gets resolved soon.”
The new date gives McGregor’s legal team more time to work on a plea deal for numerous charges, including two felony counts of criminal mischief, following the April incident, which occurred in conjunction with UFC 223 in Brooklyn.
McGregor’s manager, Audie Attar, expects the matter to be resolved at the next hearing (via Twitter):
As MMAjunkie and USA TODAY Sports reported on Tuesday, prosecutors and McGregor’s lawyers “are working on some kind of resolution” in the case, a person with knowledge of the discussions said. Cowley’s case is also part of those negotiations.
Michael Chiesa (facial injuries) and Ray Borg (eye injury) were forced off the UFC 223 card after they sustained injures while sitting on the bus that a group that involved McGregor attacked. The 29-year-old Irishman – who’s arguably MMA’s most recognizable star – was arrested and charged after the bizarre attack. However, he was released on $50,000 bail and ordered to return to the U.S. for today’s hearing.
UFC President Dana White plans to meet with McGregor this coming Monday to discuss his future. The former lightweight and welterweight champion hasn’t fought an MMA bout since 2016; his lone fight of 2017 was a big-money boxing bout against boxer Floyd Mayweather.
For more on the UFC’s upcoming schedule, check out the UFC Rumors section of the site.